By Mary Thompson
Although it’s fall, those of us in Holston Camp and Retreat Ministries are still rejoicing in God’s work this summer. We would like to celebrate this year’s summer camp season with you all and share some of the many ways God worked through our camps this year.
- Once again we had a record-breaking number this year with 3,308 campers!
- Of those campers, 541 made first-time faith commitments and 672 rededicated their lives to Christ.
- 2,233 out of 3,308 campers (about 68 percent) were able to attend camp because of a scholarship.
- 52 percent of our campers were United Methodist.
- 648 of our camper parental guardians (about 20 percent) reported they do not attend any church.
- 240 United Methodist churches in Holston Conference sent children from their congregation to one of our five camps.
- 105 Holston United Methodist churches sponsored 794 campers to attend camp this summer, providing over $222,000 in scholarship funds.
- Additionally, the four camp properties sponsored 272 campers this summer providing over $66,000 in scholarships.
- With the help of host churches, partner churches, and grant funds, Camp in the Community provided camp to 1,204 campers at no cost to their families.
Our theme this summer was "Rooted in Christ" based on the Colossians 2: 6-7 verse, which says: “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”
We had more than 75 pastors and ministry leaders volunteer to lead worship and devotion at our camps this summer. We are so appreciative of this wonderful group of people that brought this Scripture to life and witnessed to all of our campers and staff.
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you Holston Conference for supporting our Camp and Retreat Ministries every year. Because of your love, 3,308 campers and 152 staff lives will forever be impacted.
Registration for summer 2020 opens Jan. 1. To support our camps with camper scholarships, annual campaigns, or capital campaigns, visit http://www.holstoncamping.com/donate-to-camps.html.
The Rev. Mary Thompson is executive director of Holston Conference Camp and Retreat Ministries. Her email address is email@example.com.