News from Disaster Response Ministries:
- On Aug. 23, the Holston Conference Early Response Team went to Louisville, Ky., to assist with flood cleanup. The team included (pictured, from left to right) Jim Fetzer, Mark Hicks, Dave Henderson, Merrill Jarnigan, Ralph Brock, and Jim McPhearson.
- After many years of service as founders of the Holston Conference Early Response Team, Jim Hayes and Paul Hite have asked to be replaced as ERT coordinators. Dave Henderson and Mark Hicks will now serve as the Northern and Southern coordinators, respectively.
- New volunteers are invited to attend the next Basic ERT Training on Saturday, Oct. 24, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at North Campus, Cokesbury United Methodist Church in Knoxville, Tenn. Lunch will be provided. Register by e-mailing Dave Henderson (email@example.com) or Mark Hicks (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ERT training is valid for three years. Certifications of Holston ERT volunteers trained in 2007 will expire Dec. 31, 2009. ERT Recertification Training will be held Saturday, Oct. 24, 8 a.m. to noon, at North Campus, Cokesbury UMC. UMCOR has added safety, chainsaw orientation, and roof tarping to the basic program, so recertification will include those skills. Register by e-mailing Dave Henderson or Mark Hicks. For information about your certification expiration date, contact Lori Sluder (email@example.com or 866-690-4080) in the Connectional Ministries office.
- Disaster Response Ministries is expanding its training program by adding First Aid and CPR Training as requirements for ERT responders. If you already have a current First Aid and/or CPR certification card, please bring it with you to the Basic ERT Training or ERT Recertification Training classes. A First Aid and CPR class will be offered Friday, Oct. 23, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at North Campus, Cokesbury UMC. A $10 free is required for training materials. Register by e-mailing Pat Wilcox (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about Disaster Response Ministries or to invite a speaker to your church, contact Dave Henderson, Mark Hicks, or Jim Fetzer, disaster response coordinator (email@example.com or 865-675-3331).