The big meeting of clergy and lay members representing 904 churches and a multitude of teams, committees, institutions, agencies, fellowships, and other groups happens June 13-16 in Lake Junaluska, N.C.
However, the preparation for a productive and Spirit-filled Holston Annual Conference began weeks ago. Before June 13, churches will take the Missions Offering for Sudan. For the third consecutive year, the annual missions offering will support Holston's ongoing partnership with the East Africa Conference. Previous offerings have provided schools, health care, pastoral training, leadership development, clean water, and the presence and ministry of the Revs. Boo and Phyllis Hankins, who have served in Yei, Sudan, since June 2009.
An explanatory brochure and Sunday bulletin insert for the Sudan missions offering are available at Holston.org or contact the Holston office at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free (866) 690-4080.
Church treasurers have received offering envelopes by postal mail. Total offerings from each church should be placed in the envelope and brought by pastor or lay member to Annual Conference on June 13.
All 12 districts have received their assigned lists of supplies to gather for the Hands-On Mission Project. Churches are again called to collect food, health, sewing, or school supplies for missions in Zimbabwe or Liberia. Supplies ("kits") should be delivered to designated drop-off points between June 3 and June 10 – depending on the district.
Last year, churches provided 7,547 life-saving mission kits for Africa, with each district exceeding its goal.
More AC news:
- The Ordination and Commissioning Service will be combined this year and is scheduled for Sunday evening, June 13, in Stuart Auditorium.
- The Monday morning Laity Session will be held in Stuart Auditorium. The Clergy Session will be held in Shackford Hall.
- Child care will be offered in the Children's Building for a one-time fee of $10 per child.
- Free water bottles will not be offered this year, in an effort to cut costs. However, water coolers will be provided. Participants are encouraged to bring their own water bottles for refilling.
- The Book of Reports is available online.
- Participants are encourage to bring their laptop computers to use during the sessions. Sections of Stuart Auditorium will be designated for computer use and equipped with power strips.
- Visit ac.holston.org for Annual Conference information. Live streaming will again be offered this year at this address.