Nine Prayers for the Referendum
January 2, 2011
MAY ALL BEINGS everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their pain.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find their voice,
and may our brothers and sisters in Southern Sudan find peace through Our Creator’s love.
United Methodists offer their prayers -- and favorite photos from Sudan -- in the days leading to a Jan. 9 referendum which will decide if Sudan's southern region secedes from the north. Today's prayer is lifted by AMY NICHOLS, a certified pharmacy technician at Carilion New River Valley Hospital and member at First United Methodist Church of Independence, Va. She traveled to Yei, Sudan, on a Holston Conference medical mission team in March 2008.
- January 1 prayer by Steve Hodges
- January 3 prayer by Michael Sluder
- January 4 prayer by Nancy Tate
- January 5 prayer by Art Masker
- January 6 prayer by Ochan Hannington
- January 7 prayer by Libby Dearing
- January 8 prayer by Beth Tipton
- January 9 prayer by Doug Jennings