Nine Prayers for the Referendum
January 3, 2011
LORD, A BRAND NEW YEAR lies before us, a year full of possibilities, dreams, and promises. We praise you for the land in which we live that makes it easier to dream about tomorrow. Today Lord we want to pray for our brothers and sisters in Southern Sudan as they prepare to vote on January 9 to change their tomorrows. We pray for a peaceful referendum and a result that will make it possible for the children like Rebekah to dream about a promising future. May their New Year be one of peace, hope, joy, and love. In Jesus’ holy name we pray. Amen.
United Methodists offer their prayers -- and favorite photos from Sudan -- in the days leading to a Jan. 9 referendum which will decide if Sudan's southern region secedes from the north. Today's prayer is lifted by the REV. MICHAEL SLUDER, senior pastor at Bearden United Methodist Church in Knoxville, Tenn. Sluder traveled to Yei, Sudan, in March 2007 and October 2008 and will return with a Holston mission team later this month.
- January 1 prayer by Steve Hodges
- January 2 prayer by Amy Nichols
- January 4 prayer by Nancy Tate
- January 5 prayer by Art Masker
- January 6 prayer by Ochan Hannington
- January 7 prayer by Libby Dearing
- January 8 prayer by Beth Tipton
- January 9 prayer by Doug Jennings