Nine Prayers for the Referendum
January 4, 2011
MY PRAYER for Sudan …
That our world leaders will open their hearts and make the right and just decisions to end tragedies such as has happened in Sudan.
That no more babies will die just because they have no food or proper health care.
That orphaned children will find refuge.
That young leaders will be raised up in the church.
God, we ask for strength and courage to respond to the spiritual and physical needs of our brothers and sisters in all of Sudan and around the world ... and may peace reign in your Kingdom on earth. Amen.
United Methodists offer their prayers -- and favorite photos from Sudan -- in the days leading to a Jan. 9 referendum which will decide if Sudan's southern region secedes from the north. Today's prayer is lifted by NANCY TATE, congregational care coordinator at First Broad Street United Methodist Church in Kingsport, Tenn. Tate worked in a temporary pharmacy set up by a Holston mission team to Sudan in February 2009.
- January 1 prayer by Steve Hodges
- January 2 prayer by Amy Nichols
- January 3 prayer by Michael Sluder
- January 5 prayer by Art Masker
- January 6 prayer by Ochan Hannington
- January 7 prayer by Libby Dearing
- January 8 prayer by Beth Tipton
- January 9 prayer by Doug Jennings